Saturday, August 27, 2011

Some notes from the second day of class


Hi Everyone,

The second class went well, from my perspective.  We talked some philosophy.  I think in the future I will have us sit in a circle to facilitate discussion.  We discussed the first four sutras. A couple students read all four padas, quite an introduction.  I don't think I've ever read them all myself in one sitting.

Here's the handout I used for our discussion.  
1.1   Now   yoga  begins.    

1.2    Yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind.

1.3  When yoga happens,   the seer  resides in its true abode/ sees its true nature.

1.4  At other times, the seer  identifies with the fluctuations of the mind. 



Atha   now
Yoga union
Citta   mind
Nirodha   cessation/stopping
Vritti   fluctuation
Purusha   soul/seer 



Kelsey asked some good questions about are all fluctuations bad. No only those that interfere with the aim of  yoga.  She also asked what to do to get more flexible.  Do what you remember from class


here's the asana  sequence   Dandasana, tadasana, Urdhva Hastasana, Urdhva Baddanguliasana, Tadasana, Vrksasana,  Utkatasana,  uttansana, padangustasana, padahastasana,  Utthita Hasta Padasana, Prasarita Paddottanasana,  AMS,  Chatush, SBK, Savasana. 

There are some more musings on teaching yogaandphilosophy. blogspot.com





No comments:

Post a Comment